Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A special day

I don't remember if I blogged about this over 1.5 yrs ago...
When Jonas was 13 mos old he had a severe allergic reaction to eggs. The reaction occurred when he had his 5th egg over a period of 2 weeks. I was excited that he liked eggs and it became a breakfast staple. After that 5th egg his body rejected it because he had too much protein in his blood stream. He broke out in hives and started vomiting. Thankfully an anaphylactic attack did not occur.
He was tested a second time at age 2, after keeping eggs out of his diet completely from 13 mos of age. This means I read every label of every food item purchased to know whether or not he could eat it. The test still showed positive, however it was not as strong of a positive as the first time. His doctor suggested we continue to keep egg completely out of his diet for another year and have him re-tested at age 3. We all adapted to this way of life for him but I've noticed in the last 6 months or so Jonas has been more disappointed when he can't have something. For a long time we'd say "no baby, you can't have that". He'd say "does it have egg in it?" So, he understood but lately his face was really starting to show disappointment.
We are getting ready to leave for California to see my sister and I thought it would be really nice to get him re-tested now. (2 mos shy of his 3rd birthday) Our meals while traveling would be so much easier, not to mention grocery shopping for my sister.
The big day was yesterday. As we prayed with Jonas the night before and at breakfast I just felt a peace that this would all be over with. We thank the Lord that Jonas has overcome this allergy. The test was NEGATIVE!
We celebrated with his first brownie ever after lunch yesterday. Then for dinner we had breakfast. :-) I grew up on cheesy weesies (dad's name for them), scrambled eggs with cheese, and introduced those to Jonas last night. My next grocery trip will be interesting...I wonder how many labels I'll be reading for no reason. :-)
Here are some recent pictures of our little man who is growing up fast.
We love you so much Jonas.




Hangin with Grandpa Barker



Ha ha...he was totally faking so papa could get a funny picture

5 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

This is awesome news! I agree that our children grow up too fast. Shouldn't they ask permission to grow up? ;) I hope that you'll have a fabulous trip to CA.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I know how HUGE that answer to prayer is! SO HAPPY for you and Jonas! Hope that your trip is great! It should be a little less stressful now that you don't have to deal with food allergies! Praise the Lord for that!!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Ice-Family said...

Praising the Lord with you over this negative test!!! Have a great trip!!!

3:07 PM  
Blogger A Hint of Home said...

We were so excited to hear the good news. We couldn't be happier for him. He has been such a trooper through it all.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you and Jonas! What an answer to prayer!!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home