Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake

I typed this out for a friend this morning and thought I'd share with all of you. My sister-in-law, Kim, made this recently and it was delicious! It comes from The Cake Mix Doctor.
We hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Joe works all day this year. Jonas and I will spend part of the day with my parents and we will see the Barkers in the evening. We will have a Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday with the Barker family.

Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake


Crust and Filling:
1 pkg plain spice cake mix
4 T. (1/2 stick) butter, melted
4 large eggs
2 pkgs (8 oz each) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Topping:

1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar


Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Lightly grease a 13x9 backing pan.
Measure out 1/2 cup of the cake mix and set aside for filling.
Place the remaining cake mix, the melted butter and 1 egg in a large mixing
bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low for 2 minutes. Stop the machine
and scrape down the sides. The batter should come together in a ball. With
your fingertips, pat the batter evenly over the bottom and 1 inch up the
sides of the prepared pan, smoothing it out with your fingers until the top
is smooth. Set aside.
For the filling, place the cream cheese and condensed milk in the same
mixing bowl that was used for the crust, and with the same beaters (no need
to clean) blend with the electric mixer on low until combined, 30 seconds.
Stop and add the reserved cake mix, remaining 3 eggs, the pumpkin, brown
sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
Stop and scrape down the sides fo the bowl with the rubber spatula. Pour
filling onto the crust and spread with the rubber spatula so that the
filling covers the entire surface and reaches the sides of the pan. Place
in the oven. Bake until it looks shiny and no longer jiggles when you shake
the pan, 40-45 minutes. Remove the pan while you prepare the topping.
Leave oven on.
Place sour cream and brown sugar in a small mixing bowl and stir with a
spoon until well combined. Pour the topping over the cheesecake and return
the pan to the oven. Bake until the topping sets, 7-10 minutes. Remove
from oven and place on wire rack to cool for 30 minutes. Lightly cover with
plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour but preferably 24 hours for the
flavors to meld. Cut into squares and serve.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Hi there,
I know that you do not know me but my name is Rachel(Reno) Feehan and I am a good friend of Kelly's. She encouraged me to begin blogging and as a result, I have been able to click on her links and come up to date with people that I knew from school. I recognize you and your sister from when I was in college. I attended Morningside while I was there and I think that it was the two of you who sang the most beautiful duets together. I love the recipes that you put on your blog. I may just have to buy some of The Cake Doctor cookbooks. I love baking as well even though I don't always have time for it (probably a good thing).
Your son is so cute. I have an almost 15 month old son and remember the days when he was your little guy's age and just coming out of his "ham loaf" stage as a friend once called it. Anyway, don't feel like you have to respond. It has been fun just reading the recipes that you send. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
Rachel Feehan

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home