Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Mmm...Mmm...Mmm...Dessert!


As I sit at my computer working, I'm craving something sweet. This has been an every day occurance since the birth of Jonas! I was so good during my pregnancy with self control and now after Jonas is here, its been a struggle. I have ALWAYS loved chocolate and home baked goods. So, my mind is wandering off to recipes from the past. Those of you who know me, know that I love to bake more than I love to cook. If dinner doesn't turn out so great, there is usually a wonderful dessert to follow!
I figured I'd share some cook books and I'll probaly start sharing recipes as well. My all time staple for desserts is The Cake Mix Doctor. (see link on the side) My sister-in-law and I LOVE these books. Every recipe starts with a cake mix, but after doctoring it up it tastes like its from scratch. I don't think we've found a bad recipe yet. We love you Anne Byrn!
Or favorite for this time of year is:
Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cake with
Cinnamon/Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pkg plain German Chocolate Cake Mix
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup cinnamon chips
Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 13x 9 pan with vegtable oil.
Place cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low for 1 minute, scrape sides, and mix on medium speed for 2 more minutes.
The batter will be thick. Fold in the cinnamon chips until well combined. Pour into prepared pan and place in oven. Bake until the cake springs back, 35-40 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes.

Frosting:
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey's cocoa works)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners sugar
Place the cream cheese and butter in a larg mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low until well combined. Add cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla and 3 3/4 cups of confectioners' sugar. Mix on low spead until the ingredients are moistened, about 30 seconds. Add more sugar if the frosting seems too thin. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the frosting is fluffy, 2 minutes more.

Ice your cake and enjoy! Happy Fall!

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephens said...

Oh man! Just what I can't have right now. I'll take note for later though. So, you are the one struggling with the cupboards? Be careful! :-) Don't end up with the bigger struggle like I have.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home