Friday, August 10, 2007

Another Snake--Yikes!

I was just about to open the sliding glass door to let Daisy out last night. I noticed she was sitting there shaking while looking out the window. This always means there is a predator of some sort in HER space. :-) Usually its a lizard or squirrel. This time it was a 2 ft. COPPER HEAD SNAKE. Now picture me with gauze in my mouth, because I had my top wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, trying to get Joe's attention. He was in the living room watching t.v. and I'm saying "oe um here um ere!" I had a sense of urgency in my gauzy tone but I was trying to be quiet because Jonas was sleeping. "oe!! There's a STHAKE!" Joe says, "what? What are you saying?" I reply, "A STHAKE!" At this time he jumps up and says "keep an eye on it." It was slithering off the patio to the grass. I stepped out there so I could see where it was going as Joe was running to the shed to get a shovel and metal rake. My hero killed the snake. I didn't have the camera around but we googled copper head and the snake my hero killed looks EXACTLY like this picture.



The weather here in our parts has been unbearable. The temps all week have been over 100, like 102, 104, 107. Just awful. So, these predators are showing their faces more and trying to eat the lizards that Daisy is usually hunting. We are off to H*me D*pot again for snake repellent. Last time they were out and we have failed to keep checking. We have been putting moth balls out around the perimeter of the house and in the garage. Thankfully, none have gotten in the house or garage! I can't see my child ever playing outside!

6 Comments:

Blogger Ice-Family said...

YIKES! is right! I don't think I'd ever be going to play in the yard anytime soon either. Hope you're not in too much pain and discomfort from your wisdom removal. Mine was horrible (my face looked like fat-albert). I'll be praying 4 you.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Good for Daisy and great job Joe!! I never think about looking for snakes here in TN. I am still a northern girl trying to get used to the south. I guess that I should peruse the lawn before we go out. I haven't seen one yet but that doesn't mean I won't!!
Hope you feel better soon.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Hammond Family said...

Sarah
I too hope you feel better soon! I never did see any snakes in my yard in SC...and we lived only miles from you...yet Jasons parents kill several a year in their yard.
Poor Jonas will have to learn to love monkey joes and play nation!!!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

ew ew ew! That would freak me out to see a snake like that in my yard!!

Hope you're recovering from the wisdom teeth being pulled. I had all 4 of mine pulled at once and it definitely isn't very pleasant :)

9:51 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hope you feel better soon! I've heard more than a few times how bad of an experience that can be. Oh, and thanks for making me paranoid again with your snake story.=] I've actually been looking in the backyard for them this week because of the heat, but definitely don't plan on being out there anytime soon. Get well soon!

10:56 PM  
Blogger The Barkers said...

Thanks for the well wishes. I had the easiest case of wisdom teeth you can have. Nothing had to be extracted. They were the top ones and just needed to be pulled. The top ones heal much more quickly than the bottom, so they told me. Those of you who have actually had oral surgery don't have to feel too bad for me. :-)

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home