Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Animal Control

Joe and I built our house almost 5 years ago. We chose a lot in an area that is having fast growth. We didn't let the two red-neck lots next to us hinder our decision because we felt they would eventually sell. Both lots, with homes, have been here 25+ years. All the homes surrounding them are probably 15 or less years old. We haven't had too much trouble with the neighbors in 5 years but the issue of loose K-9's comes up every once in a while. In these 5 years both neighbors have had pit bulls, at one time or another, and both pits have either come in our yard or charged at Joe.
The one family reminds me of so many of the red-neck emails that float around. We've talked with them often and both sides have been friendly. Around April, I started keeping my distance. They had two dogs that remained outside, occasionally tied up. The youngest of the two was not tied up this particular day and ran out into the road an got hit by a truck. It was a Saturday morning and the neighbors came to our door, told us what happened, and asked Joe if he could shoot the dog to put it out of its misery. I went with Joe outside because I did not trust the neighbor's judgment and wanted to help the dog if it could be helped. By the time we made it out, the dog was dead. Two months later, dog # 2 was loose. It wandered in our yard for a while then back to his yard. I sit at the living room window everyday to do my work and I had just seen the dog. I put my head down then all of the sudden I heard it get hit and it howled. I flew out of my chair and went running outside. (6 months pregnant) The dog was rolling in our ditch. I went to knock on the neighbors door. She comes in her PJ's (1:30 p.m.) and I'm catching my breath. I told her that her other dog just got hit. She said WHAT? I didn't even know it was loose! We sat there with the dog, who was alert, and the neighbor started saying she didn't have a car to take it anywhere. I offered to load the dog into my car and drive her to my vet, since she didn't have one. Go figure. She proceeded to tell me she didn't have any money, but she could do a payment plan if the vet allowed her. I offered to drive her by the bank, asked if she had a credit card...everything I could think of. I called 3 vets and no one did payment plans. I asked her what she was going to do. I'm fuming inside at this point and trying really hard not to burst into tears. She said she would get a sheet and take it inside and figure it out. She never left the house that day and I never saw the dog again. Dog #3 arrives and its a Pit who has puppies soon after the arrival. The Pit was in our yard one too many times and I called Animal Control. I told them the history of the neighbor's neglect. Animal Control came out and talked to them and gave them a warning. I was told if any of their animals comes in our yard and I can seize it, animal control will come pick the dog up. The Pit left recently and you guessed it, Dog #4 arrives.

Dog #4 is an adorable Springer Spaniel puppy. She is all legs and just flops around playing. After about a week of her coming in and out of the yard, I reminded Joe that I WOULD seize a dog in order to keep it safe from the busy road :-) Yesterday was the BIG day.

Miss Springer was in our yard and I went outside, after opening the garage door. She immediately wanted to play so I just guided her into the garage and shut it. I dialed animal control and started sweating. :-) A.C. came within a couple hours, 10 minutes after the neighbor arrived home from grocery shopping! A.C. took the dog and told me the neighbors would have to pay at least $475 to get her back. That made me feel better. I am certain they won't pay it since they didn't have the money to help the last dog who got hit.
My actions may have been bold, but I truly belive I saved another dog from being killed. I wish the laws were stronger and the neighbors had more consequences for the neglect they've shown. You don't deserve to own a dog if you are not going to take care of it. Dogs are a luxery.
Feel free to post your comment! :-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Matt and Karen said...

Sarah, oh your stories are all too familiar! Matt and I had to call animal control on our neighbor who has 5 dogs (yes 5). Shortly before I had Owen they were getting lose, one even bit a child and they would bark ALL DAY (and night)! I couldn't take in any longer and went through the whole procedure of having action taken on the neighbor. It didn't do a whole lot of good. Even as I type this they are barking and she is yelling at them (I don't know which is worse :-) Oh well, at least now she knows I'm serious about her keeping her dogs under control. Good for you too! It sounds like you have done more than enough to help your neighbor, maybe now, the dog will be given a happy home! :-)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Ice-Family said...

Wow! What a great commentary on "Bad dog vs. good dog" & "Hick neighbor vs. normal neighbor" :)

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope my 10 dogs don't mess-up your yard.

10:16 PM  
Blogger The Barkers said...

Oh I can't wait to hear the Miss Emma story! At least there would be no red clay involved!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, you crack me up. Just to hear the term "redneck" -- it is refreshing. Such descriptors are not correct here in the nations capital.

Just the part of you offering to haul the dying mutt into the vet...you're entirely TOO nice. And I am proud of your brazen move to capture...what was it dog #4 or 14? You shoulda kept him and sold him on ebay.

Nice blog.

Jon Tripp in DC

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home