Tuesday, August 05, 2008

New Milestones

My Boys


I've been told 3 times in the last week that Jonas is looking more and more like Joe. What do you think?

Jonas' new trick













We've been finding our 2 year old to be quite hilarious lately. He is talking so much and learning new things. He is climbing quite a bit and I'm waiting to find him climbing out of his crib. It hasn't happened yet. We are getting his new bedroom painted and put together. I hope to be able to move him to his big boy bed this weekend. We'll see!
One milestone I was hoping to graduate from is his egg allergy. We discovered it at 13 months when he broke out in hives and started vomiting after eating an egg for the 5th time. I had introduced eggs to him at 12 months and in a 2 week period I had given him 5 eggs. He had no sign of allergy until that 5th one. I was told that children outgrow the allergy 85% of the time by age two. Most the time the allergy is caused by a protein build up in their system. They don't have enough enzymes to break it down, therefore their body rejects it by hives and in severe cases an anaphylactic attack. So, for the last year we have avoided giving him any food that has egg as an ingredient. My grocery shopping trips became a little longer as I had to read labels on everything. A month ago I started testing the waters by giving him certain things with egg in it like breads, pastas etc...so far no reaction. I didn't want to test just an egg at home. His last reaction was far too scary to go through it again. Instead, we waited till yesterday to go for his re-testing at 2 years old. I felt sure he would be negative, but he showed a positive allergy to it again. The doctors recommendation is to still prevent all eggs including traces of it in any food item. This will hopefully give him a better chance to grow out of the allergy by not compromising his system with it at all. They will retest him at age 3. I feel for those families who deal with worse allergies or multiple food allergies. Its hard to live "normal" and not dwell on the inconvenience. I pray our little guy is "normal" at age 3. :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Hammond Family said...

Either I forgot about his egg allergy or did not know!! What an interesting time you must have feeding him! My girls love pasta...and scrambled eggs are must every Saturday morning! I pray too that by age 3 he will have grown out of it...

2:53 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I'm always hesitant to answer the look-alike question but since you asked, I think that he looks like a good combo of both of you. What do you guys think? Does he favor either one of your baby pictures more than the other?

I hope that Jonas will outgrow his egg allergy by next year. It would certainly make life easier for you:).

I hope and pray that you are feeling well. Aren't you officially into your 3rd trimester now?

9:29 PM  
Blogger The Barkers said...

Jonas doesn't look "just like" either of our pictures. He really is a good mix. :-) I personally think he is still a mix. However with his eyes looking just like his daddy's he looks more like him I guess. But he has my mouth and chubby face.
I am in my 3rd trimester now! I can't believe it. I feel pretty good especially when its NOT 100 degrees! Today we actually had a little break in the heat.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Jonas is adorable. And I think he looks like both of you. But that pic of him and Joe makes him look more like Joe.

I feel your pain on the egg allergies. Food allergies are the pits. Callie deals with egg, milk and peanut allergies. It is very scary and you have to always be on your toes. She'll be retested at 5yrs. right before K5. Praying Jonas will outgrow his!!

10:27 PM  
Blogger A Hint of Home said...

I think he is a mix of both of you. He's a real cutie and a keeper! (I know I'm a little biased though).

10:44 AM  
Blogger Stephens said...

Sorry the egg allergy thing is still an issue. Hey, I need video of the little man! Give him big hugs and kisses from me. I love and miss you so much.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home