Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Grandma Hottle

We are so thankful to have had my grandmother here for the holidays. She is 81 years old and quite the firecracker! :-) She has been widowed for 25 years and has been very independent. She drives, rides a riding lawn mower, keeps a 1200 sq. ft. house clean and tidy, cooks wonderful meals, and I could go on and on. She does more than most 40 year olds. The Lord has blessed her with good health. She is always laughing and always serving. She gives of herself more than most people any of us know. Joe and I had the opportunity to drive her back to her home in Florida this past weekend. We stayed a few nights to visit with her. She cooked my favorite breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, biscuits and poor man's gravy. Man was it good! No one can make gravy like my grandmother. We sat around and looked at old pictures, my favorite thing to do! And I helped her put some recent pictures in an album. Joe helped fix a tire on her riding lawn mower so it will be ready for the next cut. Jonas was so content and funny while grandma held him. It was very sweet to see her spend time with him. I asked her a lot of questions about raising children, she raised 5. I was amazed at the stories she told and how she did it ALL back in the day with none of the conveniences we have now. (She still has never owned a dishwasher!) She had all of her kids potty trained by 18 months- 2 years, even the boys! She cooked a big breakfast every morning and a large dinner at night. Everyday! How did she do it without Bumbo seats, exersaucers, and bouncy seats? We are so spoiled! I cherish the moments with grandma and I hope we have many more visits to come. I enjoy her advice!

8 Comments:

Blogger Hammond Family said...

Sarah,

How special that must have been!! I love my grandparents as well, and cherish my memories of days gone by with them.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Ice-Family said...

Sounds like you had a very sweet time together. What a blessing. Enjoyed reading about it!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Sarah,
Your grandmother is a beautiful lady. She sounds like a wonderful and godly person. How fun to hear how she raised her kiddos. I am sure that there was a lot of wisdom you tucked away from your conversations with her.
I am privileged to still have all 4 of my grandparents. They are getting up there in years but they are sharp and I love talking with all of them about what it was like back in the day. The old stories they tell are so interesting. My dad's parents accepted Christ about 3 years ago after many years of praying for their salvation. I never thought that I would see that day (my faith is so small). I am still in awe of how God saved them. Anyway, glad you are back safely. Have a great week.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Stephens said...

Okay, choke me up! I am so glad you guys got to spend that time with her. Thanks for the "tribute" to Grandma, which reminds us of our heritage and makes us thankful for all we have.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Ben and April said...

Sarah,

Thanks for sharing about your grandmother. We were able to see my grandmother over the holidays also. It was special to see her with Morgan.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Sarah,
That is so sweet that you put me down as a link on your blog. Sniff, sniff :) JK I would like to do the same with you guys if that is ok. Let me know.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Jonas is adorable! He doesn't look all that impressed with the Santa suit, though. hee hee. I love his expression! Your grandma sounds like a wonderful lady - grandparents are so special.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Sarah
It's me Ruth Crumley well now Perry. How are you?? your sister wrote me on myspace and told me that you were on here so I thought I would write you a quick note and say Hi and tell you that your son is adorable!!!! I can't wait for our little one to meet her grandparents when she arrives in May. I loved spending time with my grand parnets and great ones. Oh I wanted to let you know that I will be singing at BJU on Feb 3 at 7 pm at WMC with a small chamber orchestra. So if you can make it it would be great to see you.
Well gotta run and get sup ready for my hubby
God bless
Ruthie

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home