Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Before and After


For the last 3 weeks I have been working on Jonas' new room, while Joe has been working nights. I had some help from a dear friend with painting the walls. I rolled and she cut in. I hate cutting in. Then I moved on to re-doing some hand-me-down pieces of furniture I inherited over the years. They didn't match and I decided I wanted to go with a navy blue look on the furniture. I love distressed pieces and since the furniture already had age to it and it is now in a child's room, you might as well distress it! Its going to get banged up some anyway. :-) The headboard is now finished, so I thought I'd debut my masterpiece! Haha-I am no professional by any means, but I do enjoy these projects.










One of the first things we did was filled in this design with wood putty to make it "smooth". However it still has some distress to it, but you can no longer see the design. Its a nice flat surface now.


I painted tan underneath the navy. So when I sanded the edges the tan would show through. (The flash from the camera makes things look brighter than they are.)


One of my other dear friends, who shares a lot of the same tastes as me, suggested painting Jonas' name or monogram on the headboard. I LOVED the idea and thought about it some more. I purchased wood letters from H*bby L*bby and painted them red and distressed them a little. They are temporarily stuck on the headboard so I can stare at it for a few days to decide if I should permanently put them there!
What do you think? I'm open to opinions! Monogram or no monogram? (the letters would stay the monogram, we won't paint directly on the headboard because it now has a finish on it that wouldn't allow the paint to work)
I am now working on the dresser. I hope to have it finished by the weekend. I will post pictures of it when I'm done. :-)







5 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I like the letters on the headboard. It looks awesome! Great job, Sarah:). It will be neat to see the final product.

1:29 PM  
Blogger knack said...

Fabulous dahling!!:) You did a wonderful job!!
Thanks for sharing :)

2:45 PM  
Blogger A Hint of Home said...

Looks great, honey! Good job and his room is going to be sooooo cute when it's all done.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just love painting furniture and making it look so much better! The bed looks awesome!! I love it! I think the letters look good there or you could put them above on the wall inseatd of directly on the bed. Great job, Sarah

11:08 PM  
Blogger Stephens said...

Wow-so creative! You got the eye for things. I don't have that. I miss all the great things you gave me ideas on in my old house or came and DID for me.

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home